- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Essence, plus more for dusting
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- Pinch cayenne
- 1 cup buttermilk, or more if needed
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil, plus more for frying
- 1/4 cup grated yellow onions
- 2 jalapenos, stemmed, seeded, and minced
- 3/4 cup grated Cheddar
- 12 hot dogs or sausages, skewered on thick wooden sticks
- 1/2 red cabbage, shredded, for garnish
- Spicy Green Onion Dipping Sauce 
In a large bowl, combine the dry ingredients. Add the buttermilk, eggs, and 2 tablespoons of the oil and stir to combine. Fold in the onions, jalapenos, and cheese.
In a large pot or electric fryer, heat enough oil to come halfway up the sides to 360 degrees F.
One at a time, while holding the skewers, dip the hot dogs into the batter, turning to completely and thickly coat on all sides. Slip the coated hot dogs in batches into the hot oil and cook, turning, until golden brown on all sides, 3 to 5 minutes. Drain on paper towels and season lightly with Essence.
Arrange the corn dogs on a platter with shredded red cabbage and pass the dipping sauce on the side. Serve hot.