- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon minced shallots
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh dill
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 pound fresh baby spinach, rinsed well, dried and stems removed
- One 14.5-ounce can hearts of palm, cut crosswise into 1/2-inch rings
- 2 mandarin oranges, peeled and segmented
- 1/3 cup pinenuts, lightly toasted
- In a bowl whisk together the buttermilk, lemon juice and oil. Add the shallots, dill, parsley, salt, and pepper, and mix well.
- In a large salad bowl, combine the baby spinach and hearts of palm. Toss with the dressing to taste, and divide the greens among 6 salad plates. Decoratively arrange the orange segments on each salad, and top with the toasted pinenuts. Drizzle additional dressing, if desired. Serve.