- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 4 teaspoons curry powder
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1/2 cup fresh orange juice
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 16 large sea scallops
- 2 large eggs, beaten with 1 tablespoon water
- 1/4 pound cooked Angel Hair pasta
- Vegetable oil for deep-frying
- For the Curry Sauce: In a saucepan, melt the butter over medium-high heat. Add the onion and sautÈ until tender, about 3 minutes. Add the ginger, garlic and curry powder, and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add the chicken stock and orange juice, and bring to a boil. Cook until reduced by half, stirring occasionally.
- In a deep-fryer or a deep, heavy saucepan, heat vegetable oil to 360?F.
- Lightly coat the scallops with the egg-wash and season the scallops with Essence and salt. Wrap each scallop with strands of cooked pasta until completely covered like a rubber band ball. Place the covered scallops in batches in the hot oil and cook just until golden brown, turning, about 2 minutes. Remove from the oil with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels.
- To the curry sauce, add the cream and cook until thickened, about 1 minute. Strain the curry sauce into a clean saucepan.
- Serve hot, 4 scallops per person, with the curry sauce.