- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 small sweet apple, such as Fuji, peeled, cored and chopped
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup apple cider or unsweetened apple juice
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 4 thick (6-inch) skewers
- 4 large strips applewood smoked bacon
- 1/2 pound chicken livers, separated, drained and patted dry
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon Essence
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 6 cups baby spinach, stems removed, washed and spun dry
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced shallot rings
- 4 ounces goat cheese, crumbled
- In a small saucepan, heat the butter over medium heat. Add the apples and cook, stirring, until soft and starting to caramelize, 4 to 5 minutes. Add the vinegar and apple cider and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat slightly and cook until the mixture is reduced by half and the apple is very soft. Pour into a blender and puree. With the motor running, add the olive oil through the feed tube. Adjust the seasoning, to taste, and let cool.
- In a large deep pot or electric fryer, preheat enough vegetable oil to come halfway up the sides to 375 degrees F.
- Working 1 skewer at a time, skewer 1 strip of bacon on the end of the skewer. Thread a chicken liver down to the bacon, then re-thread the bacon onto the skewer to touch the liver. Continue skewering the bacon, alternating with the chicken liver, for a total of 2 livers and 1 strip of bacon per skewer.
- In a large, shallow dish, combine the flour with the Essence and black pepper. Dredge the skewers in the seasoned flour, turning to coat the livers and bacon lightly. Shake to remove any excess flour.
- Add the skewers to the hot oil and cook, turning, until the chicken livers are cooked through and the bacon is crisp, 2 to 3 minutes. Drain on paper towels and season lightly with salt.
- Divide the spinach, shallot rings and goat cheese among 4 salad plates and drizzle with the apple dressing. Lay 1 skewer across the top of each salad and serve immediately.