- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup corn kernels
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 1/4 cup chopped green onions
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup cooked white rice
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 3 tablespoons melted unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon Emerilís Original Essence
- 4 large eggs, separated, at room temperature
- 1/3 cup sifted flour
- Vegetable oil
- In a heavy skillet, melt 1 tablespoon of the butter over medium-high heat. Add the corn and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes. Add the onions, pecans and salt, and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat and let cool.
- Heat a large, heavy skillet over medium-high heat.
- In a large bowl stir together the rice, buttermilk, melted butter and Essence. Fold in the cooled corn mixture.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, beat the yolks at medium speed until thickened, about 4 minutes. Blend in the flour, then stir into the rice mixture.
- In a separate bowl beat the egg whites until they hold medium-stiff peaks, about 3 minutes. Fold the whites into the rice mixture, being careful not to deflate.
- Grease the skillet with 2 tablespoons of oil, then drop 2 tablespoons of batter onto the skillet for each pancake.Cook until just golden brown on the bottom and bubbles form on the surface of the top, about 2 minutes. Flip the cakes and cook until just brown on the other side, about 1 minute.
- Remove from the pan and serve hot as an accompaniment to grilled or roasted meats or chicken.