- 3 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds
- 1/2 cup crushed pecans or walnuts
- 1/2 cup unsweetened flaked coconut
- 1/4 cup hulled green pumpkin seeds
- 1/4 cup sunflower seeds or pine nuts
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup raisins, or chopped dates
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries or blueberries, or combination
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- In a small saucepan melt butter with honey over low heat, stirring.
- In a large bowl stir together oats, almonds, coconut, pumpkin, sunflower seeds, pecans, cinnamon and salt. Pour butter mixture over oat mixture and stir until combined well.
- On a large baking sheet, spread the granola evenly in a thin layer. Bake, stirring every 5 minutes to keep from sticking or burning, until golden brown and crisp, about 20 minutes. (Do not overcook; the granola will crisp more when cooled.)
- Cool the granola on the pan on top of the stove and stir in dried fruits. Granola may be kept in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 1 week.
- Serve at room temperature in a bowl with milk, or as a snack.