- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 pound Yukon Gold or White Rose potatoes, cut into 1/8-inch slices
- 1 1/4 cup half-and-half
- 3/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Truffle oil
- Preheat oven to 400ºF.
- Butter a small glass loaf pan with 1 teaspoon butter. Place a layer of potatoes along the bottom of the pan and dot with small pieces of butter. Top with freshly ground black pepper, salt, a sprinkling of Parmesan cheese and light drizzle of truffle oil. Continue layering the potatoes, topping with layers of butter, pepper, salt, cheese and oil, finishing with a light coating of Parmesan cheese on top. Pour the half-and-half into the potato dish, bringing it up to the top layer, but not submerging the potatoes.
- Bake the potato casserole until the top is golden brown and bubbly, and the half-and-half is absorbed by the potatoes, about 1 hour – 1 hour and 10 minutes.
- Let potatoes cool until firm, about 30 minutes, then slice into squares with a very sharp knife. Warm the potato squares as necessary before serving.