- 6 each (4 inch) rounds of basic sponge cake (1/2 sheet cake)
- 1 cup orange simple syrup
- 10 egg yolks
- 5 ounces toasted almonds, roughly ground
- 2 cups sweetened whipped cream
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup SPAGHETTI SQUASH JAM:
- 2 pound spaghetti squash
- 1 pound granulated sugar
- Brush the cakes with 3/4 cup of the simple syrup and set aside.
- In a saucepan, combine the jam with the remaining 1/4 cup of simple syrup, over medium heat. Bring to a simmer and cook for 2 minutes. Add the almonds and continue to cook for 1 minute. Remove from the heat and cool slightly. Stir in the eggs and place back over the heat. Continue to cook for 2 to 3 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Place the individual cakes in the center of each serving plate. Spoon the egg mixture over each cake and cool slightly. Garnish with a dollop of whipped cream and a sprinkle of cinnamon.
- Makes: 6 servings
- SPAGHETTI SQUASH JAM: Bring a large pot of water to a boil.
- Break the squash on the ground. Wash the squash pieces and remove the seeds from the center, using your hands. Place the squash pieces in the boil water and cook until the skin comes apart. Remove from the water and place in an ice bath. Using your hands, separate the skin from the flesh and discard any seeds. Remove the flesh and place in shallow bowl. Again with your fingers, separate the flesh into threads. Cover with cold water and season with salt. Cover and allow to stand overnight. Rinse the threads until cool water and drain well.
- In a saucepan, over medium heat, combine the sugar and water. Bring to a boil and cook until the mixture is thick. Add the squash and continue to cook until the entire mixture is thick and most of liquid has evaporated. Remove from the heat and pour into a bowl and cool completely.
- Makes: about 1 1/2 cups