- 1/2 pound almond macaroons
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 pound fresh ricotta
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground cinnamon
- 3 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1 tablespoon water
- 2 cups fine dried bread crumbs
- Oil, for frying
- Whipped cream
- 1 cup honey
- Confectionersí sugar, for garnish
- Preheat the fryer to 350 degrees F.
- In the bowl of a food processor, combine the macaroons and process until finely ground. Add the sugar, cheese, cinnamon, and 2 of the eggs. Continue to process until incorporated.
- Form the cheese mixture into small balls, about a tablespoon each.
- Roll the balls in the flour, coating completely. In a shallow bowl, beat the remaining 1 egg and the water. Dip each ball in the egg wash, letting the excess drip off. Finally, dredge each ball in the bread crumbs, coating completely.
- Fry the balls in batches until golden brown, about 2 minutes. Remove from the oil and drain on paper towels.
- Place a dollop of the whipped cream in the center of each serving plate. Lay the fritters around the whipped cream. Drizzle the fritters with the honey. Garnish with confectioners’ sugar.