- FOR THE RAGU:
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup minced shallots
- Freshly ground pepper
- 1 pound assorted exotic mushrooms, cleaned and thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- 1 cup peeled, seeded and chopped tomatoes
- 2 cups shredded roasted duck breasts
- 3 cups veal reduction
- 1 tablespoon cold butter
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh parsley
- FOR THE POLENTA:
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Freshly ground white pepper
- 3/4 cup white cornmeal
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- For the Rag?: In a large sautÈ pan, over medium heat, add the olive oil. When the oil is hot, add the shallots. Season the shallots with salt and pepper. SautÈ the shallots for 1 minute. Stir in the mushrooms and garlic. Season with salt and pepper. SautÈ for 2 minutes. Add the tomatoes. Season with salt and pepper. SautÈ for 1 minute. Stir in the duck meat. SautÈ for 1 minute. Stir in the reduction and bring the liquid to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and cook for 3 to 4 minutes.
- For the Polenta: In a medium-size saucepan, over medium heat, combine the stock and butter. Season with salt and pepper. Bring to a simmer. Stir in the cornmeal and cook until creamy and thick, about 4 minutes. Stir the cream and cheese into the polenta. Season with salt and pepper.
- To finish: Stir the butter and parsley into the ragu. Remove from the heat and reseason if necessary. Spoon the polenta into each serving bowl. Ladle the rag? over the polenta. Garnish with parsley.