- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- pinch of salt
- 12 tablespoons (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, cold and cut into small bits
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
- 2 1/2 pounds apples, such as Honeycrisp, Pink Lady or Jazz, peeled cored and cut into chunks
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
Preheat the oven to 350º F.
In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour, the brown sugar, salt and 2 tablespoons of the granulated sugar. Cut the butter into the flour mixture using a fork or your fingers and blend until it resembles a coarse meal. Add the oats and toss the mixture together. Transfer the mixture to the refrigerator until ready to use.
In a separate mixing bowl, toss the apples with the lemon juice, cinnamon, nutmeg, and the remaining 1/4 cup of granulated sugar. Transfer the apples to a 9x13-inch baking dish and sprinkle loosely with the topping. Place the baking dish on a baking sheet and bake for 1 hour.
Cool for 10 to 15 minutes before serving.
Serve with vanilla or dulce de leche ice cream.
Note: This crisp is perfect for packing up in a lunch box for the kids or the adults in your family.