- 1 teaspoon plus 1 cup vegetable shortening
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup bleached all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup chopped toasted pecans
- 2 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 2 ounces milk chocolate, chopped
- 2 ounces white chocolate, chopped
- CINNAMON CREAM CHEESE FROSTING:
- 1 pound confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 pound cream cheese, at room temperature
- 2 tablespoons milk
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Grease a 17 by 12-inch baking pan with 1 teaspoon of the shortening. In a large, heavy saucepan over medium heat, melt the remaining 1 cup shortening. Remove from the heat and let cool slightly. In a mixing bowl, add the sugar and shortening, blend. Add the eggs one at a time, whisking after each addition. Add the water and vanilla and whisk to mix well. Add the flour, cocoa, baking powder, and salt and stir to blend. Fold in the pecans and chopped chocolate, then spread the batter evenly in the prepared pan.
- Bake until the cake springs back when touched, about 25 minutes. Remove from the oven and let cool for 30 minutes. Spread the frosting over the cake with a rubber spatula. Slice and serve individual pieces on a large platter.
- CINNAMON CREAM CHEESE FROSTING: Sift together the confectioners' sugar and cinnamon. In the bowl of an electric mixer, add the cream cheese. Beat on medium until smooth. Add the milk and sugar mixture, beat on low until incorporated and then increase the speed to medium-high and continue to beat until smooth.
- Yield: about 2 cups