- 1 pound Maytag Blue Cheese, crumbled
- 1 cup toasted walnut pieces
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- Freshly ground white pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup thinly sliced onions
- 1 cup julienne Granny Smith apples
- Rice wine vinegar, to taste
- 24 rounds of french bread (2 inches by 1/4 inch), toasted
In a food processor, fitted with a metal blade, combine the cheese, walnuts and cream. Puree until smooth. Season with salt and pepper.
In a small sauté pan, over medium heat, add the oil. When the oil is hot, add the onions and apples. Season with salt and pepper. Sauté until caramelized, about 6 to 8 minutes. Remove from the heat. Stir in the vinegar to taste and cool completely.
Spread a heaping spoonful of the cheese mixture over each toasted round of French bread. Garnish with a small pile of the apple-onion mixture and a sprinkling of parsley.
Yields: 24 servings