- 1/2 pound Maytag blue cheese, crumbled
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon hot sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 8 large Creole or beefsteak tomatoes, sliced 1/2-inch thick
- 4 medium Vidalia onions, sliced 1/4-inch thick
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 24 (3-inch by 1/4-inch rounds) toasted croutons
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh parsley leaves
In a medium-size mixing bowl, combine the blue cheese, lemon juice, Worcestershire, hot sauce, salt and black pepper. Using the back of a fork, mash the mixture together to form a thick paste. Drizzle in the oil, stirring continuously with the fork until the mixture is creamy. Add the buttermilk and mix well. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour. Season both sides of the tomatoes with salt and pepper.
To serve, place a tomato in the center of each plate. Drizzle some of the dressing over the tomato. Place some of the sliced onions over the dressing. Place a crouton on top of the dressing. Repeat the above process with the remaining ingredients. Use four slices of tomatoes and 3 croutons for each salad. Garnish with parsley and serve.
Yields: 8 servings