- One-half pound bulk pork breakfast sausage, crumbled
- 1 cup chopped onions
- One-half cup chopped bell peppers
- One-half cup chopped celery
- One-half teaspoon salt
- One-fourth teaspoon cayenne
- One and one-half cups cooked long-grain rice
- One-fourth cup chopped green onions
- 3 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 4 medium bell peppers, sliced in half lengthwise, seeds removed
- One-fourth cup dried fine bread crumbs
- One-fourth cup freshly grated Parmesan
- One-half teaspoon Emeril's Original Essence
- Preheat the oven to 400? F. Brown the sausage in a dry skillet over medium-high heat for about 3 minutes. Add the onions, bell peppers, celery, salt, and cayenne. Cook, stirring often, for 4 to 5 minutes, or until the vegetables are wilted. Add the rice and mix well. Cook for about 3 minutes. Remove from the heat and add the green onions and parsley. Mix again.
- Spoon the mixture into the bell peppers. Combine the bread crumbs, cheese, and sprinkle evenly over the tops of the bell peppers. Place the peppers in a shallow pan and add just enough water to cover the bottom. Bake for about 30 minutes, or until the tops are crusty and brown.
- Serve hot with warm French bread, sliced Fuji apples, slivers of aged Pecorino Romano, and good Chianti. Yum.