- 2 10-inch-square sheets frozen puff pastry (one 17-ounce box), thawed
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 cups sliced assorted fresh wild mushrooms, such as shiitakes, oysters, chanterelles, morels, portobellos, or porcini
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 8 turns freshly ground black pepper
- 1/3 cup chopped green onions
- 1 tablespoon minced shallots
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 1/2 cups Veal Glaze 
- 2 teaspoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 8 fresh whole chives
- Preheat the oven to 375?F. Line a baking sheet with parchment or wax paper.
- On a lightly floured work surface, lay 1 sheet of puff pastry, brush with the beaten egg, and cut into nine 3 1/3-inch squares.
- Place the squares of puff pastry on the baking sheet. Lightly perforate the second sheet of pastry with the tines of a fork and cut it into 9 squares also. Place each of these, perforated side up, on top of an egg-brushed square.
- Using just the tip of a small sharp knife, outline a 2 1/3-inch square cutout within the top square of pastry only, taking care not to cut all the way through. This will leave a 1/2-inch frame in the perforated piece. Do not remove the square you outlined.
- Bake until puffy and golden brown and the cut section is bursting out, for about 15 to 20 minutes. The pastry will resemble boxes. Remove from the oven, allow the pastry to cool on racks, and carefully remove the cutouts, or lids, with the tip of a sharp knife.
- While the pastry is baking, heat the oil in a large skillet over high heat. When the oil is hot, add the mushrooms, salt, and pepper and sautÈ for about 45 seconds. Add the green onions, shallots, and garlic and sautÈ for 1 minute. Stir in the Veal Glaze and simmer for 3 minutes. Fold in the butter, and cook just until the butter is incorporated, for about 1 minute. Remove from the heat. Makes 3 cups.
- To serve, place a pastry box on each plate. Spoon some of the mushroom filling into each box, place 2 chives on top of each and replace the lids, letting the chives stick out.