- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/3 cup chopped onions
- 2 teaspoons minced seeded jalapeÒo peppers
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 cup dried red kidney beans, soaked overnight and drained
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 4 cups Basic Chicken Stock 
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 turns freshly ground black pepper
- Heat the oil in a saucepan over high heat. When the oil is hot, add the onions and jalapeÒos and sautÈ for 1 minute. Add the bay leaves, beans, and cilantro and cook for 1 minute.
- Stir in the stock and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer until the beans are tender, for about 2 hours. Stir in the salt and pepper and simmer for 5 minutes. Serve immediately or store, refrigerated, in an airtight container for 2 days. Reheat in a saucepan over a low flame.