- 1 large egg
- 1 cup (packed) fresh basil leaves
- 1/3 cup roasted pine nuts
- 2 tablespoons minced shallots
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 turns freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup coarsely grated fresh Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- Combine the egg, basil, pine nuts, shallots, garlic, salt, and pepper in a food processor or blender and purée. Slowly stream in the oil and continue to process until the mixture becomes thoroughly emulsified. Add the Parmesan and process for 15 seconds.
- Heat the cream in a small saucepan over high heat, add the mixture from the food processor or blender, and cook, whisking constantly, for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat. Serve immediately.