- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups sliced onions
- 1/3 cup peeled garlic cloves (about 12 to 14)
- 3 bay leaves
- 2 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 7 turns freshly ground black pepper
- 2 quarts Basic Chicken Stock 
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon fresh chopped basil
- 1 teaspoon fresh chopped thyme
- 2 cups diced day-old French or Italian bread
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/3 cup coarsely grated fresh Parmesan cheese
- 1 cup Creole Croutons
- Heat the oil in a soup pot over high heat. Add the onions, garlic cloves, bay leaves, salt, and pepper. Stir well and sautÈ until the onions are caramelized, for about 7 minutes. (Donít let the onions get too dark; they should be sweet-tasting and a rich golden-brown color.)
- Stir in the stock, minced garlic, basil, and thyme, and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for about 40 minutes. Turn the heat back up to high and whisk in the bread and the cream, and continue whisking until the bread has disintegrated into the soup, for about 10 minutes. Whisk in the Parmesan and remove from the heat.
- While the soup is simmering, prepare the croutons.
- PurÈe the soup in a food processor or blender.
- Serve the soup hot, allowing 1 1/4 cups per portion. Top with the croutons.