- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cups coarsely chopped fennel, bulb only
- 1/2 cup chopped onions
- 6 whole cloves garlic, peeled
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons white pepper
- 1 1/2 cups peeled, seeded, and chopped Italian plum tomatoes (about 6 tomatoes)
- 1/4 cup plus 2 teaspoons Pernod
- 2 quarts Basic Chicken Stock 
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup coarsely grated fresh Parmesan cheese
- 8 sprigs fresh fennel leaves
- Heat the oil in a large soup pot over high heat. Add the finnel and onions and sautÈ for 1 minute. Stir in the garlic and sautÈ for 1 minute. Add the salt and pepper and sautÈ for 1 minute. Stir in the tomatoes and Pernod and cook for 2 minutes.
- Stir in the stock and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for 1 hour. Whisk in the cream, streaming it in slowly, and cook for 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat and purÈe the soup in batches in a food processor. Reheat if necessary.
- Serve hot, allowing 1 cup of soup per portion. Stir 2 tablespoons Parmesan into each serving . Lay a breadstick across each bowl and hang a fennel spring from each breadstick, so it drapes into the soup.