- 1 cup masa harina
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Emerilís Southwest Seasoning 
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 turns freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons solid vegetable shortening
- 1 cup warm water
- Combine the masa harina, flour, cormeal, baking powder, Southwest Seasoning, salt, and pepper in a bowl and mix thoroughly. Cream in the shortening and add the water a little at a time, working the mixture until all is completely incorporated.
- Using your hands, form the dough into a log about 12 inches long by 3 inches across and refrigerate for about 20 minutes.
- Remove from the refrigerator, divide the log into 4 equal sections about 3 inches long, and carefully roll each of them out between sheets of plastic wrap to an 8-inch circle, about 1/4 inch thick. The dough must be handled with care to keep it from cracking.