- 2 cups Basic Chicken Stock 
- 1 pound red potatoes, unpeeled and quartered
- 1/4 teaspoon saffron threads
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 cup chopped green onions
- 1/4 cup minced red bell peppers
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 turns freshly ground black pepper
- 4 cups assorted greens (arugula, red oak, frisÈe, curly endive, or radicchio)
- 1/2 pound (1 cup) lump crabmeat, picked over for shells and cartilage
- Combine the stock, potatoes, and saffron in a medium saucepan over high heat. Bring to a boil and cook the potatoes until theyíre fork-tender, for about 15 minutes. Remove the pot from the heat, but allow the potatoes to steep in the saffron liquid for about 10 minutes. Drain the potatoes, reserving 1/2 cup of the saffron cooking liquid.
- Prepare the dressing by heating 1 tablespoon of the oil in a small saucepan over high heat. Add the green onions, bell peppers, garlic, parsley, salt, and pepper and stir-fry for 30 seconds. Stir in the 1/2 cup reserved saffron liquid and bring to a simmer. Whisk in the remaining 2 tablespoons of the oil until thoroughly incorporated, and remove from the heat. Makes 3/4 cup.
- To serve, mound 1 cup of the greens on each of 4 dinner plates and top with 1/4 cup of the crabmeat. Arrange about 8 quarters of potato around each mound and spoon 3 tablespoons of the dressing over each salad. Serve warm.
- Yield 4 salad servings