- 8 tablespoons (1 stick) plus 1 tablespoon softened unsalted butter
- 8 ounces semisweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 5 large eggs, at room temperature, separated
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups Chocolate Ganache Icing 
- Fresh raspberries
- Whipped cream
- Preheat the oven to 350?F. Grease a 9-inch springform pan with 1 tablespoon of the butter, and dust with the flour, tapping out any excess.
- In a metal bowl set over a pot of simmering water, melt the chocolate with the remaining 8 tablespoons butter and stir occasionally until smooth and creamy. Remove from the heat.
- In another bowl use an electric mixer to beat the egg yolks together with the sugar and vanilla until thick, stopping to scrape the sides of the bowl once or twice, for aobut 3 minutes. In a third bowl whisk the egg whites with the salt until stiff, for about 2 mintues. Slowly and genltly fold the chocolate into the yolk mixture, adding just a little chocolate at a time to keep the eggs from scrambling. Fold in the egg whites.
- Pour the batter into the springform pan, and bake in the center of the oven until spongy, for about 40 minutes. Remove from the oven, remove the springform ring, and place the cake on a rack to cool completely.
- When the cake is cool, preparer the Chocolate Ganache Icing.
- To serve, spread the Chocolate Ganache Icing over the cake. Top with raspberries and serve a small wedge of cake with a dollop of whipped cream.