- 1 1/2 teaspoons olive oil
- 3 strips thick-sliced bacon, chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped onions
- 7 cups coarsely shredded green cabbage (about 1/2 large head)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 turns freshly ground black pepper
- 2 bay leaves
- 3/4 cup beer
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Creole or other whole-seed mustard
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over high heat and add the bacon. Cook bacon until golden brown, for about 1 1/2 minutes. Add the onions, cabbage, salt, and pepper and stir-fry for 1 minute. Stir in the bay leaves, beer, and mustard and simmer, folding the ingredients through the cabbage, for 3 minutes.
- Cover the pot and cook over high heat for 3 minutes. Reduce the heat to medium and cook for 10 minutes. Uncover, turn the heat up to high and cook, stirring from time to time, until the cabbage is tender, for about 10 minutes. Serve immediately.