- 1 tablespoon active dry yeast
- 2 1/2 cups warm water (about 110?F)
- 3 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 3 cups plus 1 handful all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 3 turns freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups mixed halved black and green olives
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
- Dissolve the yeast in the water in a bowl, stirring. Add the whole wheat flour and 3 cups of the all-purpose flour, and mix by hand. Add the salt, pepper, olive oil, olives, and basil. Blend well with your hands. Knead and form into a round ball of dough. Place in a clean bowl, cover with a towel, and place in a warm spot to rise for 30 minutes.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment or wax paper. When the dough has risen to double the size, sprinkle with the remaining handful of all-purpose flour. Fold sides of the dough up over the flour, turning the dough and continuing to fold the sides over.
- About 15 minutes before baking, preheat the oven to 350ºF.
- Place the dough on the baking sheet and bake until firm and crusty, for about 45 minutes. Remove from the oven and allow to cool until just warm before serving.