- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh basil
- 2 tablespoons chopped green onions
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 8 turns freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup olive oil
- Combine the egg, lemon juice, basil, green onions, salt, and pepper in a food processor or blender and purée for 15 seconds. While the processor is running, slowly steam in the oil.
- When all of the oil has been added, turn off the machine and scrape down the sides and cover. Process again until the mixture becomes a thick mayonnaise. Remove the mayonnaise to an airtight container and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes. Use within 24 hours.