- 1/2 cup roasted garlic
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 turns freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 12 slices (each 2 to 3 inches in diameter) crusty Portuguese or Italian bread
- Preheat the oven to 375?F.
- In the bowl of a food processor, combine the garlic, egg, salt, and pepper. Turn on the machine and slowly stream in the oil. Continue to process until the mixture is thoroughly emulsified, stopping once to scrape down the sides of the bowl. Makes about 2/3 cup of aioli.
- Place the bread slices in a single layer on a baking sheet and spread each with about 1 tablespoon of the aioli. Bake until just golden, for about 2 to 3 minutes. Watch them carefully to see that they donít burn.
- Note: Preheat the oven to 400?F. Combine 24 peeled shallots and /or garlic cloves with 1 teaspoon olive oil, 2 teaspoons salt, and 5 turns freshly ground black pepper on a sheet of aluminum foil. Fold the edges of the foil together to form a bag and roast until tender, for about 40 minutes. Use immediately, or refrigerate in a little olive oil in an airtight container for 2 or 3 days.