- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped yellow onions
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped garlic
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground white pepper
- 2 1/2 cups peeled and chopped tomatoes, with their juice
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
- 1/2 cup Chicken Stock or 
- canned low-sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Pinch of sugar (optional)
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onions, garlic, salt, and white pepper. Cook, stirring often, until the onions are softened, about 4 minutes. Add the tomatoes and basil. Cook,stirring often, for 5 minutes. Add the stock and black pepper. Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer for 2 minutes.
- Add the sugar to balance the acidity if needed, and cook for 1 minute. This keeps for five days, refrigerated in an airtight container.