- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt, or more to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 3 bay leaves
- 1/2 pound chorizo sausage, cut crosswise into 1/2-inch slices
- 1 1/2 cups finely chopped yellow onions
- 1/4 cup finely chopped green bell peppers
- 1/4 cup finely chopped celery
- 2 quarts Chicken Stock or 
- canned low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 Idaho potatoes (about 1 1/2 pounds), peeled and cut into large dice (about 3 cups)
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1/4 cup chopped green onions (green and white parts)
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- Salt Cod Fritters 
- Heat the olive oil in a large heavy pot or Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add the salt, crushed red pepper flakes and bay leaves, and cook, stirring for 1 minute to extract the spice flavors into the oil. Add the sausage and cook, stirring often, until it begins to brown, about 2 minutes. Add the onions, bell peppers, and celery and cook, stirring occasionally, until they soften, about 4 minutes.
- Add the stock, potatoes, and garlic and bring to a boil over high heat. Season with salt to taste. Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer until the soup has thickened, about 1 hour and 15 minutes.
- Stir in the parsley and green onions. Serve immediately, topping each serving with two or three fritters.