- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pound smoked chorizo sausage, removed from casings and finely chopped
- 2 cups chopped yellow onions
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 4 cups shredded kale
- 2 tablespoons chopped garlic
- Bouquet Garni 
- 3 quarts Chicken Stock or 
- canned low-sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 4 dozen littleneck clams, scrubbed well (discard any that are open)
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh cilantro
- Heat the olive oil in a large heavy pot or Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add the chorizo and cook, stirring often, until it has rendered its fat and is beginning to brown, 3 to 4 minutes. Add the onions, celery, and carrots and cook, stirring often, until softened, about 3 minutes. Add the salt and pepper and stir well.
- Add the kale, garlic, bouquet garni, chicken stock, and red pepper flakes. Bring to a boil over high heat, stirring occasionally. Reduce the heat to medium-low. Simmer, stirring occasionally, until the kale is tender, about 30 minutes.
- Add the clams and cook until they open, about 10 minutes. Discard any unopened clams.
- Stir in the cilantro. Serve hot.