- Savory Pie Crust 
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 4 cups thinly sliced yellow onions
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 tablespoons minced shallots
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/2 cup chopped ham (about 3 ounces)
- 1 1/4 packed cups shredded Jarlsberg or Swiss cheese (about 5 ounces)
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh thyme
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 375?F.
- On a floured surface, roll the pie crust dough into an 11-inch circle. Transfer to a 9-inch tart pan with a removable bottom. Press the dough onto the bottom and up the sides, trimming off any excess dough.
- Line the dough with a round of parchment paper or aluminum foil. Place a layer of pastry weights or dried beans in the bottom and up the sides. Bake until the pastry looks set, about 10 minutes. Remove the parchment and weights, and bake until the pastry is barely golden, 6 to 8 more minutes. Let cool completely.
- Melt the butter in a skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onions, 1/2 teaspoon salt, nutmeg, and bay leaf. Cook, stirring often, until the onions are golden, 7 minutes. Add the shallots and cook, stirring often, until softened, 1 minute. Add the garlic and stir until fragrant, 30 seconds. Add the ham and cook, stirring often, for 3 minutes. Transfer to a bowl and let cool.
- Stir 1 cup of the cheese into the cooled onion mixture. Spread the mixture in the cooled tart shell.
- Whisk the eggs in a bowl. Whisk in the cream, thyme, parsley, the remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt, and the pepper. Pour into the tart shell and sprinkle the remaining 1/4 cup of cheese over the top.
- Bake for 35 minutes, or until set. Increase the oven temperature to 400?F and bake until the filling is puffed and golden brown, 8 to 10 minutes. Remove from the oven and cool for at least 15 minutes before cutting.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.