- Vegetable oil for deep-frying
- 3/4 cup bleached all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon Creole Seasoning
- 1 large egg
- 2 cups thinly sliced yellow onions, separated into rings
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Pour enough oil to come halfway up the sides into a large heavy pot or electric deep-fryer and heat over high heat to 360?F.
- Combine the flour and 1 tablespoon of the Essence in a shallow bowl. Whisk the egg and 2 tablespoons water in another shallow bowl. Dip the onions in the egg mixture, then toss in the seasoned flour, shaking to remove any excess flour. In batches, without crowding, deep-fry the onions until crisp and golden, 2 to 3 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer to a paper towelñlined baking sheet.
- Just before serving, season with the remaining 1 teaspoon Essence and the salt. Serve hot.