- 1 large egg, at room temperature
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 cup olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne (optional)
- Combine the egg and lemon juice in a food processor or blender and process for 10 seconds. With the processor running, slowly pour in the oil. Stop once the mixture has thickened. Add the salt, black pepper, and the cayenne if using, and pulse once or twice to blend. Transfer to an airtight container and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes before using. (The mayonnaise can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 24 hours.)
- *RAW EGG WARNING The American Egg Board states: "There have been warnings against consuming raw or lightly cooked eggs on the grounds that the egg may be contaminated with Salmonella, a bacteria responsible for a type of foodborne illness. Healthy people need to remember that there is a very small risk and treat eggs and other raw animal foods accordingly. Use only properly refrigerated, clean, sound-shelled, fresh, grade AA or A eggs. Avoid mixing yolks and whites with the shellÖ"