- One 2-pound flank steak
- 1 cup dry sherry or dry red wine
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoons Emerilís Original Essence or Creole Seasoning
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Put the flank steak in a large self-sealing plastic bag. Whisk the sherry, soy sauce, brown sugar, Essence, garlic, tomato paste, and pepper in a medium bowl. Pour into the bag and seal. Refrigerate for at least 4 hours, and up to 24 hours.
Preheat a gas or charcoal grill.
Remove the steak from the marinade and pat it dry. Grill the steak for about 6 minutes on each side for rare. While it cooks, pour the marinade into a small heavy saucepan and bring to a boil over high heat. Lower the heat to medium-low and simmer until reduced and thickened, about 10 minutes.
Transfer the steak to a cutting board and let stand for 5 minutes before slicing.
Cut the steak across the grain into thin diagonal slices, and serve with the sauce on the side.