- 1 large eggplant (about 1 1/2 pounds)
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 12 thin slices prosciutto or ham (about 1/4 pound)
- 8 ounces fresh mozzarella, cut into twelve 1/8-inch-thick slices
- 1/2 cup Balsamic Syrup 
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil (optional)
- Preheat a gas or charcoal grill. (Alternatively, preheat the broiler.)
- Cut the eggplant crosswise into twelve 1/4-inch-thick slices. Lightly brush on both sides with olive oil, then season with the salt and pepper. Grill until just golden and slightly soft, about 2 minutes on each side. (If broiling, cook for 1 minute per side, carefully watching so that it does not burn.) Let cool slightly.
- Top each eggplant slice with a slice of prosciutto, followed by a slice of mozzarella cheese. Roll up each slice and secure with a toothpick.
- Return the roulades to the grill. Grill until the cheese starts to melt and the eggplant is warmed through, about 2 minutes. (Alternatively, roast the roulades on a baking sheet at 400?F for 6 to 8 minutes.)
- Arrange the roulades on a serving platter, or place 3 roulades each on four individual plates. Discard the toothpicks. Drizzle with the balsamic syrup and the extra-virgin olive oil, if desired, or pass the syrup on the side as a dipping sauce.