- 1 1/2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/4 pound boiled ham, diced
- 1 1/2 cups finely chopped yellow onions
- 1/2 cup finely chopped celery
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 cups long-grain white rice
- 1/2 cup finely chopped green onions (green and white parts)
- 1/2 cup seeded and chopped tomatoes
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped garlic
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 3 1/2 cups Chicken Stock or 
- canned low-sodium chicken broth
- Preheat the oven to 325?F.
- Melt the butter in a large ovenproof saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the ham and cook for 2 minutes. Add the onions, celery, salt, pepper, and bay leaves and cook, stirring often, until the vegetables soften, about 4 minutes. Add the rice and stir to coat. Add the green onions, tomatoes, and garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, for 2 minutes. Stir in the peas and chicken stock. Bring to a boil over high heat.
- Remove the pan from the heat and cover tightly with aluminum foil. Bake until the rice is tender and the liquid is absorbed, about 30 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and let stand, covered, for 10 to 15 minutes. Remove the bay leaves.
- Before serving, fluff the rice with a fork.