- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 cup finely chopped yellow onions
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 1/2 pound Homemade Tasso or 
- 1/2 pound smoked ham, cut into 1/4-inch cubes
- 3/4 cup seeded and chopped tomatoes
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons minced jalapeÒos
- Two 14 1/2-ounce cans white hominy, rinsed and drained
- 1 tablespoon grated orange zest
- 1/2 cup tequila
- 1/2 cup fresh orange juice
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/4 cup finely chopped green onions (green and white parts)
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh cilantro
- Heat the oil in a large heavy pot over medium-high heat. Add the onions, salt, and cayenne, and cook, stirring often, until the onions are softened, about 3 minutes. Add the tasso and cook until heated through, about 2 minutes. Add the tomatoes, garlic, and jalapeÒos. Cook, stirring often, until the tomatoes are heated through, about 1 minute. Add the hominy and orange zest and cook for 2 minutes longer.
- Add 1 cup water, the tequila, orange juice, chili powder, cumin, and coriander and bring to a simmer. Cook, uncovered, over medium heat until the liquid is slightly reduced, about 8 minutes.
- Stir in the green onions, parsley, and cilantro. Serve hot.