- 1 fennel bulb
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3 Ruby Red grapefruit
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 cups arugula, stemmed, washed, and patted dry
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- Vodka-and-Citrus-Cured Salmon, thinly sliced 
- Blood Orange Gastrique 
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh flat-leaf parsley
- Preheat the oven to 400?F.
- Trim off the fennel stalks, cut the bulb in half, and remove the tough core. Toss the fennel with the olive oil, 1/4 teaspoon of the salt, and 1/8 teaspoon of the pepper. Put the fennel in a roasting pan cut side down and roast until golden brown, 25 to 30 minutes. Cool completely.
- Peel the grapefruit and trim away all of the white pith. Working over a bowl, using a serrated knife, cut between the membranes to release the grapefruit segments. Pat the grapefruit segments dry with paper towels, then toss with the sugar.
- Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the grapefruit and cook, turning once, until each segment is caramelized, 3 to 4 minutes. Transfer to a bowl and let cool.
- Thinly slice the fennel. Place in a mixing bowl and toss with the arugula, extra-virgin olive oil, and the remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon pepper. Add the grapefruit and toss well.
- Mound the fennel salad in the centers of four serving plates and arrange the sliced salmon around it. Drizzle the gastrique over the salads. Garnish with the parsley and serve.