- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 cups chopped yellow onions
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 2 1/4 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon chopped garlic
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 quarts Chicken Stock or 
- canned low-sodium chicken broth
- 3 pounds parsnips, peeled and chopped
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- 8 strips bacon, chopped and fried until crisp, for garnish
- 1 tablespoon snipped fresh chives, for garnish
- Melt the butter in a large heavy pot or Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add the onions, celery, salt, and pepper. Cook, stirring often, until the onions are softened, 4 minutes. Add the garlic and bay leaves and stir until the garlic is fragrant, about 1 minute. Add the chicken stock and parsnips and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium-low. Simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally, for 1 hour.
- Stir in the cream and vinegar. Remove and discard the bay leaves. PurÈe the soup with an immersion blender or in batches in a food processor or blender.
- Serve the soup hot in bowls, garnished with the bacon and chives.