- 1 pound medium beets, peeled, stems removed, and halved
- 1 fennel bulb, about 3/4 pound, cored, stem removed, and quartered
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup thinly sliced yellow onions
- 1/4 cup finely chopped carrots
- 1/4 cup finely chopped celery
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 6 cups Chicken Stock or 
- canned low-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 3 tablespoons applesauce
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh mint leaves
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh sage leaves
- 1/4 cup toasted and crushed pistachios
Preheat the oven to 375?F.
Put the beets, fennel, 2 tablespoons of the oil, salt, and pepper in a large bowl and toss to combine. Spread the vegetables on a baking sheet covered with aluminum foil and roast until caramelized, 45 minutes to 1 hour.
Remove from the oven and cool slightly. When cool enough to handle, cut into 1/2-inch cubes.
Heat the remaining oil in a saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the onions and cook, stirring, until soft, 3 to 4 minutes. Add the carrots and celery and cook, stirring, until soft, 3 minutes. Add the garlic and cook, stirring, for 30 seconds. Add the fennel, beets, and stock, and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer for 20 minutes. Remove from the heat and cool slightly.
With an immersion blender, or in batches in a food processor or blender, purÈe the soup. Refrigerate the purÈe until cool, at least 2 hours.
In a small bowl combine the sour cream, applesauce, mint, and sage, and stir to combine.
Ladle the chilled soup into serving bowls, top with a dollop of Apple-Mint Crema and pistachios, and serve.