- 1 1/2 cups yellow cornmeal
- 1/2 cup bleached all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 3 ounces grated sharp Cheddar cheese (about 3/4 cup)
- 1/4 cup minced yellow onions
- 1 1/2 teaspoons minced jalapeÒos
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Emerilís Red Pepper Sauce or other hot pepper sauce
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- Vegetable oil for deep-frying
- 2 tablespoons Creole Seasoning, (optional)
- Mix the cornmeal, flour, salt, baking powder, and baking soda in a large mixing bowl. Add the cheese, onions, jalapeÒos, and hot sauce and mix well. Add the eggs, buttermilk, and 1/2 cup water. Mix well.
- Pour enough oil to come halfway up the sides of a large heavy pot or electric deep fryer and heat over high heat to 360?F. In batches, without crowding, drop tablespoons of the batter into the hot oil. Deep-fry on all sides until the hush puppies rise to the surface and are golden brown, 2 to 3 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer to paper towels to drain.
- Sprinkle with the Essence if you wish, and serve hot.