- 1 head cabbage (2 to 2 1/2 pounds), tough outer leaves removed
- 2 large Idaho potatoes (about 2 1/2 pounds), peeled
- 3/4 pound bacon, chopped
- 2 medium yellow onions, sliced thinly lengthwise
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cups Chicken Stock or 
- canned low-sodium chicken broth
- Preheat the oven to 375?F.
- Cut the cabbage into quarters and remove the hard core. Cut the cabbage quarters lengthwise in half. Peel the potatoes and cut crosswise in half. Cut the halves lengthwise into quarters. Arrange the cabbage and potatoes in alternating layers in a 9 1/2 x 13 1/2-inch roasting pan.
- Fry the bacon in a large heavy skillet, stirring often, until just crisp, 6 to 8 minutes. Add the onions, salt, and pepper and cook until the onions are soft, about 5 minutes.
- Distribute the bacon mixture and pan drippings evenly over the vegetables. Add the chicken stock. Tightly cover the pan with aluminum foil. Bake until the potatoes are tender, about 1 1/2 hours.
- Let stand, covered, for 15 minutes before serving. Serve with the cooking juices.