- Preheat the oven to 375?F.
- Season the quail on both sides with the Essence and salt.
- Heat the oil in a large heavy skillet over medium-high heat. Add 4 quail, breast side down, and cook until browned, about 2 minutes. Arrange the quail breast side up in a baking pan just large enough to hold them all. Add more oil to the skillet as needed and sear the remaining quail in two batches.
- Spoon the barbecue sauce over the quail and bake until the meat looks rosy when pierced at a thighbone, 12 to 15 minutes.
- Serve immediately with the bread pudding.