- 4 ounces (1 cup) walnut halves
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1 head radicchio, quartered
- 1 1/2 teaspoons minced shallots
- 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon orange zest
- 1/4 cup fresh orange juice
- 2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1/2 cup walnut oil
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 8 cups baby arugula, washed and patted dry
- 1 head endive, washed, patted dry, and separated into spears
- 4 ounces Maytag or Danish blue cheese, crumbled (about 1 cup)
- Preheat the oven to 300°F.
- Spread the walnuts on a baking sheet and bake, stirring once, until fragrant and lightly toasted, 5 to 7 minutes. Remove from the oven and let cool.
- Heat 1 teaspoon of the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the radicchio and cook until soft, about 2 minutes on each side. Remove from the pan and drain on paper towels. Cool, then remove and discard the cores. Cut into thin strips.
- Add the remaining teaspoon of oil to the skillet. Add the shallots and cook until soft, about 1 minute. Add the garlic and orange zest and cook for 30 seconds. Add the orange juice and reduce by half, about 1 minute. Remove from the heat and pour the mixture into a bowl.
- Add the rice wine and apple cider vinegars and honey, and whisk. Slowly drizzle in the walnut oil and whisk until blended and slightly thickened. Add 1/2 cup of the walnuts and the salt and pepper, and whisk well.
- Combine the arugula, radicchio strips, and endive in a large salad bowl and toss with the walnut dressing. Divide the salad among six plates. Top with the remaining walnuts and the cheese and serve.