- 1 1/2 pounds new potatoes, scrubbed
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup andouille or other spicy smoked sausage, removed from casings and chopped
- 2 cups thinly sliced yellow onions
- 2 tablespoons minced shallots
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons Creole or other spicy whole-grain mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Cut the potatoes into quarters and put into a medium saucepan. Add enough water to cover and 1 teaspoon of the salt. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat and cook, uncovered, until just fork-tender, about 15 minutes. Drain.
- Heat the oil in a large heavy skillet over medium-high heat. Add the andouille and cook, stirring often, until beginning to brown, about 2 minutes. Add the onions and cook, stirring often, until softened, about 3 minutes. Add the shallots and cook until beginning to soften, about 1 minute. Add the garlic and stir until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add the cream andcook until reduced by half, 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in the mustard and mix well.
- Add the potatoes, the remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt, and the pepper and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and serve, or cover to keep warm until ready to serve.