- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 pound andouille sausage, chopped
- 2 cups chopped yellow onions
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped garlic
- 5 large eggs
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 3 cups milk
- 8 ounces grated white Cheddar cheese
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped green onions (green part only)
- 8 cups 1-inch cubes white bread
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Grease a 2-quart rectangular baking dish with the butter.
- Heat the oil in a large heavy skillet over medium heat. Add the sausage and cook, stirring for 3 minutes. Add the onions, celery, salt, and black pepper. Cook, stirring until the vegetables are soft, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Remove from the heat and let cool.
- Combine the eggs, cream, and milk in a large mixing bowl and whisk to blend well. Fold in the sausage mixture, cheese, and green onions. Add the bread cubes, pushing them into the sausage mixture.
- Pour into the prepared baking dish. Bake until the top is golden brown, about 45 minutes. Remove from the oven and let rest for 5 minutes before serving.