- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 cup chopped onions
- One-half cup chopped green bell peppers
- One-half cup chopped celery
- One-fourth cup chopped red bell peppers
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 cups chicken broth
- One-half cup dry white wine
- Three-fourths teaspoon dried thyme
- One-half cup blond roux (1/4 cup vegetable oil and 1/4 cup flour)
- Three and one-half cups heavy whipping cream
- 1 cup cooked corn
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce
- 1 pound jumbo lump crabmeat, picked over for shells and cartilage
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- 1 tablespoon chopped green onions
- 16 crab claws (optional)
- Heat the butter over low to medium heat in a 4-quart saucepan. Add the onions, green bell peppers, celery, red bell peppers, and garlic, and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add the chicken broth, white wine and thyme. Bring to boil.
- In a small bowl, make a blond roux by combining the oil and flour, and stirring to form a smooth paste. Add the roux to the saucepan and whisk until the mixture begins to thicken. Add the cream, whisk to blend, then reduce the heat to a simmer and continue to cook until the mixture thickens. Add the salt, hot sauce, and corn. Simmer for 5 minutes.
- Very gently, stir in the crabmeat, parsley and green onions. Simmer until heated through. Divide the bisque in equal portions into four soups bowls. Garnish with the crab claws if you wish.