- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- One-fourth teaspoon salt
- One-half cup vegetable shortening
- 2 cups sugar, plus additional for rolling cookies
- 3 large eggs
- One and one-half teaspoons vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Spray a baking sheet with non-stick spray.
- In a large bowl sift together the flour, baking powder, and salt. In a large bowl, cream together the shortening and 2 cups sugar. Add the eggs one at a time beating well after each addition. Stir in the vanilla. Gradually add the flour mixture in several additions, mixing until each addition is well blended. Turn the dough onto a lightly floured work surface, and with a floured roller, roll the dough to one-fourth-thick. Sprinkle additional sugar over dough and lightly roll the rolling pin over the dough, pressing the sugar into the dough. Cut the cookies, arrange them on baking sheet, and bake until very lightly browned, about 10 minutes. With a spatula transfer the cookies onto a sheet of waxed paper and cool completely.