- 6 ounces unsweetened chocolate, grated
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons sifted confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 cup finely ground almonds, plus toasted chopped almonds for garnish
- Cocoa powder for garnish, optional
Melt the grated chocolate with the butter in a heavy saucepan over medium-low heat. Add the cream and almond extract. Gradually stir in the sugar and almonds and cook until the mixture is smooth. Remove from the heat, cover and refrigerate for 24 hours. Remove from refrigerator and hand-roll into individual teaspoon-sized balls. Roll the balls in cocoa or ground almonds. Keep refrigerated until ready to serve.