- One and one-fourth cups water
- Three and one-half cups bread flour (or 1 cup whole-wheat and two and one-half cups bread flour)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon active dry yeast
- Kosher salt for topping
- 1 egg white
- 1 tablespoon water
- Place the ingredients in a bread pan in the order recommended by the manufacturer. Use the dough setting. Take out the dough when it’s ready and punch it down and roll out into one big rectangle. Slice it into 12 to 14 pieces and roll into ropes. Shape them by bringing them into a U shape, twisting the ends together, and pressing to make the traditional pretzel shape.
- Dip the pretzels in a boiling soda water bath (one-half cup baking soda to about 1 gallon of water) for 15 seconds then place the pretzels on a greased baking sheet or ungreased baking stone. Brush with the mixture of egg white and water. Sprinkle with salt or other toppings and bake in 400-degree oven for 15 minutes or until golden brown.
- 2 LB Dough Cycle